All UW-Madison dissertations and theses required by the department for submission to the library are cataloged in the Library Catalog. If you do not find a dissertation or thesis in the Library Catalog, contact the department. Full-text PDF files of UW-Madison doctoral dissertations completed 1997 or later are available through ProQuest Dissertations & Theses.
Locating UW-Madison Dissertations & Theses
- In the Library Catalog
- In the Library Catalog advanced search, click Manuscripts, Theses from the list of facets on the right.
- Enter an author, title, and/or year search terms.
- Click Search.
- In Library Databases
- Proquest Dissertations & Theses index and full text to dissertations and theses from over 700 academic institutions around the world
- Most pre-1997 UW-Madison dissertations and theses have been scanned as part of the Google Digitization Project. Digitized copies have been deposited in Hathi Trust, a repository for the digitized collections of major research institutions and libraries. When available, Library Catalog records contain links to Hathi Trust and Google Books. Content in the public domain is available full text.
Borrowing UW-Madison Dissertations & Masters Theses
UW-Madison dissertations and theses from 1965-present are stored in the Theses collection in the basement of Memorial Library. UW-Madison dissertations and theses from 1892-1964 are located in the UW-Madison Shelving Facility. UW-Madison master’s theses are not available for check out; they may be viewed in a library.
Identifying Dissertations and Theses
- ProQuest Dissertations & Theses GlobalComprehensive North American and significant international coverage of graduate works, often providing full-text documents from 1997 on.
- Proquest Dissertations & Theses @ SUNY BuffaloA subset of ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global which limits your search to UB.
- FirstSearch WorldCatYou can search for Masters theses and doctoral dissertations in FirstSearch WorldCat using the Advanced Search feature. Change the Keyword box setting to Material Type and type in: thesis or dissertation. In the second box, type in the keywords that best describe your topic.
- Master's Theses DirectoriesCall Number: Lockwood Ref Z5055 U5 M46Covers 1993-2009; formed by the union of: Master's theses directories. Education; Master's theses directories. Arts and social sciences; and: Master's theses directories. Natural and technical sciences.
- Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (NDLTD)An international federation of universities has created this repository of electronic theses and dissertations. Click on Global ETD Search to run a search.
- Open Access Theses and Dissertations (OATD)OATD amis to be the best possible resource for finding open access graduate theses and dissertations published around the world. Metadata (information about the theses) comes from over 600 colleges, universities, and research institutions.
- PQDT OpenPQDT Open provides the full text of open access dissertations and theses free of charge.
- EThOSThe British Library's Electronic Theses Online Service offers free access to the full text of UK theses, allowing researchers to tap into this rich and vast body of knowledge. Delivered through a single web interface, the service includes theses stored electronically by the British Library, as well as those held by other universities, and will digitize theses on demand as required by researchers.
- CRL's Foreign Doctoral Dissertations DatabaseCRL holds more than 800,000 doctoral dissertations from universities outside of the U.S. and Canada. The collection was built by deposits from member libraries and exchange or depository arrangements with almost 100 universities. All dissertations can be most easily searched in the dissertation scope of the CRL catalog, which has drop-down searches for country and university.
- OpenthesisFree repository of theses, dissertations, and other academic documents, coupled with powerful search, organization, and collaboration tools.
- Open GreyA multidisciplinary repository for European grey literature; includes over 150,000 theses.
- Theses Canada PortalThis site provides citations and some abstracts to dissertations and theses submitted to the National Library of Canada since 1965. Free full-text electronic access to Canadian dissertations and theses published from 1998 to August 31, 2002.
- International Theses in ProgressDatabase of doctoral dissertations in progress around the world.
- Dissertation ReviewsSince 2010, Dissertation Reviews has featured more than 1000 overviews of recently defended, unpublished doctoral dissertations in a wide variety of disciplines across the Humanities and Social Sciences. The site's goal is to offer readers a glimpse of each discipline’s immediate present by focusing on the window of time between dissertation defense and first book publication.