Interior design is a field which explores a great deal about art, culture, architecture, color, environment, and more. Modern interior design often covers the harmony between the East and West, as well as the use of modern technology in the design of modern living spaces and working places. The field of interior design is one where you have the opportunity to take a topic and add to the existing literature, to answer a question or to solve a problem.
If you need a list of interior design thesis topics, review the list below:
- How Television Promotes Amateurs
- The Dying Industry of Interior Design
- How to Become a Modern Interior Designer
- The Use of Color Theory
- The Use of Synthesized Materials
- Modern Graphic Design
- Layouts for Advertising
- Emotional Perception of Font
- Font Preference for Reading
- Persuasive Perception of Font
- E-commerce and Textiles
- Customer-Focused Manufacturing
- Competition in the Apparel Industry
- Modern Pattern Design
- Cyclical Nature of Color
- Tufted Carpet Technology
- Interior Architectural Redevelopment
- Redesigning Modern Phones
- Adaptive Re-Use of Industrial and Historic Buildings
- Ambient Intelligence
When you set out to pick a topic from this list, or any other list, you should be aware of the following: coming up with a brand new idea, never before heard of is nearly impossible. But you can still combine existing ideas in a new way. Find out if someone else has already completed something relating to the topic you have selected. See if you can add a new spin to it or provide an idea which is not published anywhere else. This can be in the form of a new methodology. An existing problem may have been studied before but not with the methodology you are proposing. You might want to identify a problem or question which has yet to be solved as well. This could be a specific group, class of materials, or a technique. Finally, you might consider searching for a specific outcome which has not been achieved by anyone else. Remember that the idea you end up using for your thesis must be something you have the expertise and resources to explore.
As you are reviewing this list, keep in mind that you should search for several possible ideas at first, rather than one perfect idea. Being open to possibilities, no matter how off the wall they might be, will help you to find something that you are passionate about. The idea upon which you settle does not have to be 100% unique. You can consider a variation on an existing theme or find a different approach to an existing problem. This will open up many avenues of exploration that can lead you to the perfect thesis topic.
Remember that a big part of this writing process is the ability to defend the work that you have done later on. Your topic needs to be something which can be easily managed given your location and the resources you have available. Remember that the size of your topic can be a difficult measure to pinpoint. You want to make sure that the topic is manageable but you do not want to be limited while you are conducting research.
Interior Design Research Paper Topics That Can Make You Stand Out
Interior design is a broad field that covers a variety of topics that cover art, architectural design, culture, the environment, color theory, and more. These broad topics can be further broken down based on variations across cultures or through different times in history, or adaptation of different design concepts or principles in different settings or countries. Choosing a topic for a research paper on design requires filtering through this profusion of information and restricting your paper to a precise topic. You can also pick a topic that has been done before and look at the issue from a different perspective.
How to filter information to find a topic
As mentioned above, finding a topic for an interior design writing project requires filtering through a load of information and restricting the paper to a precise topic. But how do you actually achieve this? Here are some useful pointers.
- Visit a public library near you
- Find magazines that are dedicated to design and architecture
- Visit your school library
- Try to find an example of an interior design paper
After finding some resources that may help you narrow down to a topic, you can now consider the following topic ideas.
- Decorating Styles
Interior design encompasses a broad range of decorating styles like Art Deco, Victorian, Mission Style or Edwardian. Under these broad topics you can:
- Describe the types of paint colors as well as trims that are used on the interior of a particular house.
- Describe the kinds of wall treatments used on a certain building with a particular decorating style.
- Describe the architectural details defining the style of a certain room in a prominent building.
- Discuss the unique elements of furniture found in a certain room in a prominent building.
- Color Combinations
You may choose to discuss the color theory and the different types of design options within various color combinations. For instance, you can choose the work of amateur designers to show in your research paper, experimental design principles. Some possible topics here include:
- Explain the value of the relationship between soft and hard surfaces, including tones and hues in monochromatic design schemes.
- Explain how color has been used to create depth in a certain room.
- Explain how color has been used to achieve form and space in a certain room.
- Interior Design Trends
As the interior design field evolves, you can find numerous topics to write about with respect to emerging trends. Some possible topics include:
- Explain the fabric and color choices for contemporary living room designs in a certain country.
- Explain how new accessories are used to decorate rooms in modern times.
- Discuss how color is used to create certain effects in commercial establishments.